Sunday, March 11, 2012

What Happened That Day (Human Condition)

After an extensive Wiki-thon, I somehow ended up at McDonald's history time-line. I got looking at how McDonald's has changed throughout the years......but, I noticed that the time-line seemed rather long. The reason for this was that it also included some not-so-good facts about McDonald's as well. One of which I had never known existed, being that I was only 4 years old when it happened.

On July 18th, 1984 in San Ysidro, California, a man named James Huberty walked into a McDonald's at about 4pm and opened fire. He killed 21 people and injured 19. His victims' age ranged from 6 months old to around 70 years old. The whole ordeal lasted for almost an hour and a half, when he was finally taken out by a sniper.

I was curious beyond what Wikipedia had to say about it, so I dug further. I pulled up articles, old news footage, and photos.........and got sucked into a sadness that I hope I, or my loved ones, never have to experience firsthand. It did compel me to start writing. To this day, I've never written a poem as long in as little time as I did with this one. It's a little morbid, but I put the pen to the paper and words started showing up quickly.........

What happened that day
In your mind, a warped dismay
The human condition is all to real
To much pain to just sit and feel

How many emotions in your mind
Why was violence the easiest to find
What caused you to snap, fire, strike out
Noone'll ever know what this was about

The guns, the bullets, the blood, the rage
You gunned them down, no matter the age
Holes in the windows and blood on the floor
When people were injured, you fired some more

Nobody had known, no time to prepare
You took 21 lives without any care
You hurt just as many, realities shattered
They laid and watched, as bullets scattered

An hour and a half, and then SWAT came
A sniper fired with great precision and aim
A round to the heart and then it was done
A murderer, forever changed the lives of some

Their minds and their skin were left so scarred
Their perception of life forever marred
One man changed so many in just one day
That one afternoon just can't go away

You took away their hopes and dreams
Replaced it all with gun-shots and screams
Kids and teens, it couldn't seem real
You gunned down families who just stopped for a meal

And when it was over, survivors rushed outside
With so many wounds and losses too great to hide
The 19 that lived and a community left to mourn
A McDonald's torn down, a memorial to adorn

So much pain to watch and feel
The human condition is all to real
A family restaurant left in disarray
San Ysidro won't forget, what happened that day


~Dena Kabat 12/12/11

Take some time to tell the ones you love just how much you love them. You never know if, in your daily routine, something could go horribly wrong.......preventing you from saying "I Love You" to them, ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment